Home | English | Publications | Witness Testimony | Witness Statement: Ensafali Hedayat

Witness Statement: Ensafali Hedayat

26. The third day, the judge of the Revolutionary Court came to visit me. I requested that he allow me to see a medical examiner. He told me that I had just arrived, but that he would look into it. Then he left. After a short while they let me out of the solitary cell. We passed by scores of young men who were sitting in the yard under the hot sun on our way to the buildings which housed the Intelligence Protection Organization offices of the Law Enforcement Forces. (Some Revolutionary Court judges also worked out of this location because it was located further away from the courts and they could make decisions regarding whether they should continue detaining or release the students.) I spoke with Judge Abizadeh for a short while in detention. The judge’s behavior took me by surprise. He didn’t once ask why my eye, face, chin, head, forehead and body were swollen and bruised. He didn’t ask “Would you like to be seen by a physician or a medical examiner?” Nor did he ask “Would you like to complain about anyone?” I told the judge that I was beaten and am in prison for no reason at all. Instead, Abizadeh asked me if I accepted my charges. I said, “No, I did not.” Then the judge issued my arrest warrant according to the wishes of NAJA’s Intelligence Protection Center. The warrant was issued for an unspecified period of time (not to exceed three months). The charges were “propaganda against the regime,” “interviews with foreign radio stations,” and “armed attack against a police officer.” I rejected all three charges and insisted that I be seen by a medical examiner. He asked me if I wanted [to see a doctor in order to document my condition]. I said yes. But he postponed making a decision and said he would do so at an unspecified time in the future (which never arrived).

27. They took me from the judge’s office inside the police’s Intelligence Protection Organization office to a solitary cell in the detention center. Later, one of the guards announced the arrival of Commander Eini-Baher – the Police Commander of East Azerbaijan Province – who had come to inspect the arrestees. I had interviewed him several times. He was familiar with me and knew that I was a journalist. I thought he would help me, but he insisted that I had evil intentions when contacting foreign media and that I deserved to be arrested. I told him: “Commander, you are neither a judge nor a lawmaker and should therefore not pass judgment. You were given this weapon in order to guarantee the safety of people like me, not to issue a ruling instead of the judge or pass a law in place of a legislator.” Then I requested he give me two warm meals and a cold one pursuant to the SPO Law. Colonel Roustai, who had accompanied Eini-Baher, said in response that arrestees must purchase food with their own money. Then Eini- Bahar said he’d look into the matter. He left. I was placed under interrogation. My interrogator was named Ebrahimi. He threateningly informed me that I had the right not to answer his questions. I was scared, so I answered his questions. On the third day I was extremely hungry, so I told him that I would answer his questions on the condition that they take off my blindfold and bring me food. Ebrahimi gave 200 toman (about 20 cents) to a guard and instructed him to bring me some bread and cheese. During Eini-Baher’s meeting with the accused, I saw Colonel Roustai. I was very frightened. Colonel Roustai or his officers could have easily accused me of being a hooligan, knocked me around again and caused serious trouble for me. He was the direct commander of the officers who had attacked me in front of the university – he himself had beaten me up harder than anyone else.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »
  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

Cyber Journalism, Secret Prisons, Imprisonment, Travel Restrictions