Home | English | Publications | Witness Testimony | Witness Statement: Mahmoud Roghani

Witness Statement: Mahmoud Roghani

64. The next day when he woke up for breakfast, he hugged me and cried and said that “Mr. Roghani, I’m certain that I’m going to be executed very soon. Forgive me if I had made any mistakes.” Then he said that he hoped I would be released and see my children. Later, he gave me his watch as a memento.

65. The next day in the morning, Haj Mojtaba, deputy of Lajjavardi (the warden of Evin) came to our ward. Haj Mojteba was a stout person and he had a knife and an ulcer scar on his face. I knew he had come to take Mehran to be executed as ordinary guards had taken him before. Mojtaba entered the cell and looked around like a butcher and told Mehran to come with him.

66. I peeked through the door small window and saw there were guards lining the hallway. Half an hour later, I heard the guards shouting “Allah-o akbar.” My turn came to use the restroom. A guard asked me if I knew what happened to my cellmate. I said, “No, brother.” The guard said, “Oh, what a dance he was doing when we pulled him up on the tree in front of the prosecutor’s office.” He told me this very indifferently and proudly. I was quite surprised. Although people like Mehran were not different from my guards. Mehran and his colleagues also planted bombs inside stores and killed many innocent people including children and women.

67. In February 1984, I was transferred to the Sanitarium and from there I was moved to room 63 of Amozishgah (vocational center). There, I was mixed with other prisoners. I met Hedayatullah Moalem and Nasrat Darvish and Kesra Akbari. In Amozishgah, I had regular visits with my family and my family was allowed to deposit 200 Toman (Iranian currency) in my account every month.


68. My first trial took place in the prosecutor’s office inside Evin in the summer of 1985. The prosecutor’s office was located in the first building on the right side of Evin from the entrance. It was just before ward 209. Next to ward 209 was an old building made of bricks. Amozishgah was located on the way to the hills inside Evin. Next to Azmozishgah was the Sanitarium which was a newly built complex and had 400 solitary cells.

69. I was in Amozishga when they took me to court. I did not see my charge sheet. I did not know what I was charged with. Nayyeri was the presiding judge at my first trail. The trial was conducted in an ordinary room. Nayyeri was sitting behind a desk and there were many chairs around the table. There was one other person in the room. Apparently, he was the clerk as he was busy taking notes of the proceeding. Nayyeri asked me a few questions such as what my position in the party was and whether I wanted to organize a military group. I said I did not. He said that I had confessed during my interrogations that I had been in touch with a military officer. I said it was not true. Then he told me that I , member of the Tudeh Party, had a general charge of “spying for the Russians.” He said that, for us, you are all spy unless we are proved wrong. You are guilty unless proven innocent. My trial took about five minutes and then I was returned back to room 63.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »
  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

Imprisonment, 1988 Prison Massacre, Torture, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment, Punishment, Free Speech, Right to Protest