Home | English | Publications | Witness Testimony | Witness Statement: Mahmoud Roghani

Witness Statement: Mahmoud Roghani


5. On 6 February 1983, they came for me at my home. I was helping my daughter get ready for school. The door bell rang. Looking down from a window, my wife said that IRGC officers were behind the door. I understood they had come to arrest me. Kianoori had instructed us to not resist and to hand ourselves to government officers who wanted to arrest us. He had also instructed us to defend the Party in detention and in prison as the Party was legal and had not committed any unlawful act.

6. Anyhow, I quickly tore up some papers on which the names and address of some of my colleagues were written and flushed them down the toilet. I put some other papers in my wallet and gave it to my wife to deliver to Zare. I opened the door. Two plain-clothes officers entered the house. One of them was armed. My wife asked what they wanted from me. They said that I had to accompany them to the base to answer some questions. I asked if they had an arrest warrant for me. They replied that they had. They showed me an arrest warrant signed by the General Prosecutor of Tehran permitting them to detain me instantly wherever they found me. My young daughter was brushing her teeth. She was shocked when she saw them armed in my home. The man who was armed aimed his gun at me and threatened me not to make any unusual moves. (Later, when I was beaten with a cable, my blindfold moved a bit upward, and I noticed that these two persons were there too.)

7. Then, the two IRGC officers who were inside my home ordered the other two officers who were waiting outside to take my books, series of Mardom newspapers and some other items that I don’t remember now to a Chevrolet that was parked outside my home. They also ordered me to move. My wife asked them when I would be released. They replied that they had a few questions for me and I would be freed afterwards. But I told my wife that they were not telling the truth because they would not come for minor interrogation with an arrest warrant from the General Prosecutor of Tehran. My wife gave me some money and we left my home.

8. I entered the car and sat in the back seat between two IRGC soldiers armed with Kalashnikovs. The two other persons sat in front and one of them drove the car. When I looked back at my street, I thought it was my last look. On the way, an IRGC officer showed me Ehsan Tabari’s picture and asked whether I knew him. I said I did and then he asked where he was. I told them that I didn’t have that information. Then he showed me Zare’s picture and asked whether I didn’t know this one either. I said that I knew the earlier one and I knew him. His name is Zare. Then the officer asked where he was. I said that I had no idea.

9. Then, we moved towards Kashawarz intersection and stopped for a short while in front of a cinema. I was told to bend my head, put it between my legs and not to look up again. They covered me with a coat. The car started moving fast from one street to another so that I would lose my sense of direction. After a while, I thought we reached a vast yard. I heard women and boys’ voices there.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »
  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

Imprisonment, 1988 Prison Massacre, Torture, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment, Punishment, Free Speech, Right to Protest