Home | English | Publications | Witness Testimony | Witness Statement: Fariborz Baghai

Witness Statement: Fariborz Baghai

61. He said that I was Kianoori’s puppy and ordered me to walk and barks like a dog in the torture room. I did but in my heart I was laughing at him. Then he said, bark and say death to Kianoori. I did that too. It continued for a week but the lashing did not stop.

62. One day he held my hand, took me to a room that had a glass and told me to remove my blindfold. When I removed it, the first thing I saw was him standing behind me. He told me to look at myself and laugh at my idiocy for refusing to tell the names of the people I was in touch with. He said, “Look! What you have brought to yourself.” I saw that my eyebrows were white because of sweating and blindfolds. When I looked at myself carefully, I saw my hair had turned white and I did not have eyebrows and eye lashes anymore.

63. The questions Emami asked were laughable. For instance, he asked where I was on May 9. It made no sense. My response was either I was in a meeting, or in a class, or in the hospital or at home. How on earth I would know what I was doing on a day that you pick randomly! It was the sort of game he played with me those days in prison.

64. In the last days of the sixth month, October 26, 1983, Saieed Emami took me to the torture room called Hashti. He apologized and asked me to forgive him and said that he had tortured me without any reason. I was obviously delighted to hear that. From that day on, I was transferred from one solitary cell to another where the heads of secret military organizations were imprisoned.

65. After a month, I was transferred to a room where a senior military officer of the Tudeh Party lived. His name was Colonel Kabiri and was the deputy of Mohammad Reyshahri for a while when he was the head of the Intelligence and Protection office of Sepah. Reyshahri later became the Minister of the Intelligence in Iran. After helping the Islamic Republic in exposing the Nojeh Coup, Colonel Kabiri became very close to Reyshahri. The Tudeh Party had given him a mission to infiltrate the Constitutional Monarchists, go to Nojeh and whenever the monarchists wanted to take military action report it to the Party.

66. Colonel Kabiri was arrested and I was with him in the room. He asked me if I knew what had happened between the two waves of arrests from February 6, 1982 to May 1, 1983. As I said, all the leaders of the Tudeh Party ware not arrested in the first wave. About 50% of the top leaders remained at large. Those arrested, however, betrayed the rest under torture and told the government about the secret military organization and its leader, Khosro. Besides, they told the government that the head of naval forces and Colonel Kabiri were members of the Tudeh Party.

67. The government exploited this opportunity very well and deceived members of the Party who were at large. For instance, Reyshahri intentionally lied to Kabiri that the Tudeh Party members in prison did not confess and betray their comrades under torture. Believing Reyshahri told the truth, Kabiri reported to the Secret Organization and the party leaders at large that their guys had not betrayed them in prison. Thus, the Tudeh Party leadership at large concluded that there was no imminent danger threatening them. They continued their normal activities until they were arrested on May 1, 1983.

68. The other eleven or twelve persons in that room said that they worked on designing zigzag rockets. Reyshahri tried all of them, including Colonel Kabiri, in a military court and sentenced them to execution which was carried out in 1983.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »
  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

Imprisonment, 1988 Prison Massacre, Free Speech, Right to Protest, Equality Before the Law, Discrimination