Home | English | Publications | Witness Testimony | Witness Statement: Fariborz Baghai

Witness Statement: Fariborz Baghai

46. Another time, I was taken to treat a prisoner who belonged to the Revolutionary Organization. I saw his foot had a hole. I could see his bones. My feet did not have holes despite being subjected to harsh lashings. I think it was because I exercised, ran and walked for 17 or 18 hours a day in the cell during the 19 months. My soles were thick. Or maybe it was because he was lashed with a different kind of whip. Some whips made holes while others did not. For instance, the knitted cables created wavering feelings and bodies shivered while the filled cables wounded the skin. I believe they used knitted cables for prisoners they wanted to keep alive and extract information from but used the filled cables for prisoners they sought to kill.

Targeting Tudeh Party Leaders- First Round

47. On February 6, 1983, I noticed the corridor located in the basement was vacant. Then new prisoners were brought in. They were the Tudeh Party’s leaders. They started chanting some slogans, like “long live Tudeh Party” to break the silence. They believed they were wrongly brought in because they supported the regime. The guards started beating them. After three or four hours they were silenced.

48. Three days later I was called for interrogation. The interrogator said that the newly arrested Tudeh Party members had said I was a member of the central committee. I was elected advisor of the central committee in a plenum held in Tehran in March 1981. I denied this and said that I was not. He said that two leaders of the party had confessed and confirmed that I was. Then he asked who was there at that plenum. There were 50 or 60 persons in that plenum. I did not remember all the names. They tied me to a bed and hit me with cables. There was an iron bed with wooden plates on top of it. They tied my hands and feet to the bed and lashed my feet. I shouted a lot. There were cloths filled with dry blood in the room. They pushed a dirty cloth into my mouth. It closed my nostrils. I could not take a breath. The pain in my feet and my difficulty in breathing exhausted me. Beating was painful but suffocation was worse. I could see death in front of my eyes.

49. They hit me and asked what information I had about the military structure of the Party and to mention the names of the army officers I recruited for the Party. I told them that before the revolution a navy officer, Hamid Ahmadi, came to me but I did not see him after the revolution. He used to come to visit me in Germany because his uncle lived in the city where I lived. His uncle introduced him to me and I introduced him to the Party. I did not know anybody else. Fortunately, Hamid Ahmadi had escaped from Iran. I was interrogated for the next fifteen days everyday for four or five hours. I fabricated names and told them that I wanted to confess. For instance, I said that I knew a navy officer called Amjadi and another one in the air force. When they wanted me to write down the names of the officers, I told them that I lied because I was about to die under torture. Then they subjected me to torture again. My urine was bloody.

50. The other question was to tell them the identity of Khosro. Later I found out that Khesrou was the head of the secret organization of the party. He was known as Partovi. I knew Partovi but I didn’t know that his name was Khosro. If they had asked me who Partavi was, I would have been able to tell them about him but they asked me about Khosro about whom I had no idea.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »
  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

Imprisonment, 1988 Prison Massacre, Free Speech, Right to Protest, Equality Before the Law, Discrimination